Saturday, November 01, 2008

Ellen meets the mayor


When I was volunteering at the No on Proposition 8 office today, San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsom made an unannounced visit and gave an inspirational speech.  For those of you who don't know, back in 2004, Gavin Newsom instructed City Hall to grant marriage permits to same-sex couples, based on his reading of the California Constitution, which the courts confirmed this year.  On Election Day, California voters will decide whether to amend the Constitution. Keith and I have opposed such a change with our time and money.

I'd like to remind any readers who think civil marriage should mimic religious marriage that neither the Catholic Church nor Orthodox Judaism would permit me and Keith to marry.  I am glad that religions have the freedom to discriminate but do not think that government should.

1 comment:

Ted Lemon said...

Wow, that's a really good arguing point. Probably won't sway dyed-in-the-wool nuts, but it's a good one to use on people who are on the fence.