Thursday, April 13, 2006

Bathroom models

My favorite nerd (and husband) has been building 3-D models of possible bathrooms. All involve (1) replacing the big tub with a usable tub, (2) moving the toilet (which must be done due to plumbing constraints), and (3) leaving the shower, which we like, where it is. Here are some pictures:

Plan 1



I like the side-by-side sinks, but the toilet is too central. While it would be funny to paint the back wall with a design radiating from the toilet, I don't think we'll do that.

Plan 2

This provides more privacy for the toilet. The corner region of the cabinet would be accessible from the toilet side, for storing toilet paper and reading materials.

Plan 3


This provides a lesser degree of privacy for the toilet and seems less cluttered that the previous plan. I don't like how one sink is wedged in the corner. I'll ask Keith to move it next to the bathtub.

I'd welcome any comments on designs, as well as on bathroom remodelling in general. I'd be happy to send models in SketchUp format to anyone who wants to plan with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey E, this is Ryan, husband. Interesting designs, and, having done a little construction, I'm always fascinated by this planning stage.

The third plan looks most appealing at first glance, but i think that's partly due to the 3/4 angle lending more apparent three dimensionality than its counterpart overheads manage to do. It's just automatically more visually compelling. I can see what you mean, though, about the other sink being crammed in the corner--it also looks sort of extra or superfluous somehow. I don't know how much room you're working with or what your storage needs are, but that does look like an ideal location for the taller cabinet of the first two plans.

I don't quite know why you have to move the toilet, but since you're moving a supply line and waste line anyway, I guess put it wherever you want. Drawing one looks most basic and straightforward, but the second appeals to me more. However, while it's hard to tell from the drawing, it looks as though you'd plan to wrap the wall/mirror over the sinks all the way around the "L" created by the counter. Aesthetically and practically I kind of doubt that would be appealing--you'd make the toilet more private, but you'd also make it claustrophobic. Consider having the wall/mirror treatment just on the existing wall, and having the shorter L section of the counter defined only by a backsplash or--to take a chance--just leave it as a floating edge. Visually that could really open up the room. Depends on the surface material perhaps. That wouldn't look very interesting with a mica product but could be cool with stone or tile.

Listening to me can be dangerous. I can dream up gorgeous renovations, and they cost like a lot. :shrug: Keep planning though--that's the most important part, and the most fun (till you're done).

Ellen Spertus said...

Thanks very much. You've made some good points we hadn't thought of.